Monday, October 1, 2007

Back to Work - sort of

So I'm trying to get up to working full time. The problem is, every time I think I can do it I take 2 steps forward and 1 or 2 steps back. Last week I worked almost a full day everyday, then yesterday I started having the feeling like the creature from Alien had attached itself to the back of my head, accompanied by a nest of ants and a painless, but annoying "throbbing" I have never felt before. Okay, I expected to not "feel" the same. I learned that from the implants from last year's fusion. But this is just strange. I'm afraid to drive (main reason I have not left the house since Saturday.)

My co-workers have been understanding up until now, but I think their patience is wearing thin. I look good, my hair has grown back, I have more stamina, but days like today make me feel like a malingerer. I have read so many helpful things from people who have been through the same thing. They all say "listen to you body". I am still learning to do so.

The very good news is that the "mental stuff" feels so much better. Before the surgery, putting more than 3 or 4 coherent sentences together was a struggle. I can now actually pay attention to an entire conversation.

2 comments:

lzwitty said...

Sharon,
Thanks so much for the link. I'm sorry that you're having problems with work. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to try to resume work after surgery. I'm 5 weeks post-op. and have no idea when I'll be able to return back to work. I want to go back but I'm also scared about pushing myself too hard (which I'm sure you understand completely.) Have you asked any of your coworkers about how they feel? Sometimes, it helps to get things more out in the open--talking to them openly about your limitations might possibly help on both sides.
Blessings to you and Bobby.

lace1070 said...

Sharon ~ I would try and listen to your body ~ remember that your mind is going to be ready maybe before your body can handle the activity. Hang in there ~ Lace