Sunday, October 21, 2007

Things that get me thru the day.....

When I was young I heard a school counselor tell a group of us, "If you stood in a circle with everyone you know, you all put your troubles in the middle, everyone would take back their own." The older I get the more I believe that statement.

A woman at work told me the other day that based on all that has happened in the last 2 years, she doesn't know how I am able to get up and face the day, let alone come to work and be productive. So I thought this would be a good time and place to reflect and share what keeps me going...

Fist, my mom Nancy. She was incredible and my greatest source of strength and inspiration. She taught me by example how to think positive and to press on through adversity without feeling sorry for myself. Losing her before I could appreciate her as a friend was the greatest loss of my life.





S
econd, Bobby my DH and best friend. He has loved and stood by me through thick and thin. We lack any day to day support from our families so we have learned to lean on each other.

Third, my best friend Carla (sorry no photo available). She helps mostly by giving me either a hug or huge kick in the a_ _ based on what she thinks will help me the most at the moment. When my dad was dying and my sister was on my nerves, she drove an hour in the middle of the night to come be by my side.

Fourth, DH's daughter Kelly. I hate the word step, so from the beginning I have referred to DH and Kelly as my "package deal". DH and I have been together since she was 3. DH, Kelly's mom and I raised her together. Now 22, she has turned out to be a wonderful young lady.



Finally there is the menagerie that live with DH and I. DH and I never had any human children together, but we have raised many of the "fur" kind.
Kitties:
Salmon, Yoda, Sir William MacGreggor and Matilda.


Lastly, Heather the Australian Cattle Dog. Heather belonged to DH's best friend Ardis. When Ardis died last year we inherited Heather. For many months we debated if we were the best place for her. She stayed and we both agree it was the best decision for all of us.

Combined these influences give me strength, support, love and distraction enough to press on. It is amazing how a person has to put aside his/her own pain, discomfort, sadness or whatever may be weighing on their heart and mind when someone else needs their love and attention.

Getting up, going to work, caring for DH, the house and the fur children has never felt like a choice. It is simply living my life.

1 comment:

Zipperhead said...

I'm so glad you have close relationships with your family. That is a precious thing!