Saturday, September 29, 2007

Am I just the sum of my diagnosis?

So many of my fellow chiarians are witty, interesting and forward looking people. For all my tough talk, I find it hard to not remain a sum of my symptoms and I wish for something positive and unique to say.

I am back to working almost full time, with the exception of time off for continuing doctor appointments for both me and DH. For folks who don't know, DH is
billybobswildride. My work day is stressful only because we are understaffed and hence overworked. The work itself is not stressful. While I'm there I can pretend my life is relatively normal. I can even forget I am a zipperhead for a few minutes here and there. That is, until my left hand decides to have a mind of it's own or the scar itches to high heaven.

DH says I am brave and should not beat up on myself for continuing to have fatigue, clumsiness or memory issues. As a survivor of child abuse, positive self image has been a life long struggle. When usual "human" shortcomings are hard to enough overcome, the issues brought on by chronic pain and illness are a whole new ball of wax.


DH found a great new support site for chronic illness
"
But you don't look sick". One included story relates an exchange between the author, Christine Miserandino, and a friend. The author struggles to explain, in a way her friend will understand, what it is like to live with chronic illness (in her instance, Lupus). It is called the "spoon theory". It is the most articulate explanation of what living life with chronic pain is like I have ever read.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Yes I love the spoon theory. It has helped me more than once explain why I cannot do things. Chronic pain is so hard to live with. Trying to get others to understand what they can't see is very hard to do. Sometimes it's so exhausting I just give up.

Never That Easy said...

I LOVE the spoon theory - it just helps people to relate, in such a realistic way. It's a great messageboard, too... very supportive people!